Thursday, September 6, 2018


"ARE YOUR EYES OPEN?"

         It was a beautiful Sunday and inside the church, the pews were full to standing room only. When the services ended, the congregation enjoyed gathering together and catching up on the news of their week. As soon as the children were released from their classrooms, they were all about our feet and, at times, even under them.
         It was fall which I sometimes liken to a feeling of "hope which springs eternal." The weight and heaviness of summer had recently been replaced with the refreshing feel and smell of fall. One could even shut their eyes and yet still know that it was fall simply by the crispness in the air.
         As I looked around, I saw the leaves trickling down and proudly showing off their colorful wardrobe, and yet others were swirling around in circles, before making a safe landing.
         As the children poured into the sanctuary, they scattered throughout the crowd, anxiously hunting down their respective parents. Then, a bit impatiently at times, the waiting would begin for a break in the adult conversation. We mothers all knew the usual request which would be coming forth because we had all heard it last Sunday, and the Sunday before, and the Sunday before that.
         I was persistent in teaching my children the mannerly art of waiting and not interrupting a conversation. If they failed to do so, the answer to their question would be a definitive "Negatory."
         On this particular Sunday, the requests I heard came, not only from my two sons, but also from their four year old sister, who had weekly stood by watching how her brothers made their approach.
         "May we please have a friend over for the afternoon?"
         This request most assuredly would guarantee that they would be trading in their Sunday afternoon naps for more playtime with friends who they didn't regularly see at school. And Sunday, after church, was the perfect opportunity to spend the day with a friend, as we would be returning to the 6:00 service and we could easily return said visitor to their parents.
         I was pleased to watch them being semi-patient, and not interrupting the mom and dad conversations. (We, adults, actually have friends, too!) And because they followed "Mom's Rule of Orders," I agreed to give up my afternoon of peace and quiet, by saying "yes" to the whole kit and caboodle.
         So they quickly darted off to their chosen friend and extended the invitation which then sent the chosen ones darting off to their moms and dads for permission. If the answer was a "yes," they would all run back to me, while somehow jumping up and down, with their good news of approval.
         Just watching their antics was amazing, because how exactly does one run AND jump up and down simultaneously without losing ones' balance? Maybe this could be a sport for the Children's Olympics because the skill exerted always surprised me. And mine, for sure, would make the cut for the team.
         So, as the excitement rose, my three, and two of their peers, were loaded into the minivan. They all buckled in and then we began our trek home which was only a twenty minute drive on the Interstate 85.
         There was some traffic, which is usual in Atlanta, but we were in no hurry to get home. Ten minutes into the ride, I heard the sounds of an emergency vehicle getting louder and louder as it gained on us from behind.
         Now my "go-to" reaction whenever I heard a siren, was to pray for the safety of the driver, as he weaves around and through traffic, wisdom for the medical helpers inside, and healing for the patients. So without thinking about it, I started praying and I did so, out loud, as a lesson to my children. 
         Unbeknownst to me, one of our young visitors in the backseat was experiencing major stress. He probably felt panicky and when he finally could no longer contain his anxiety, he interrupted my prayer, with a very nervous request. "Uh ... Miss Linda, are your eyes open?"
         Well at first, I thought it a rather odd question and I wondered what could possibly be so distressing about my prayer? But as I processed the situation, I realized his dilemma.
         I'm sure that he had heard his parents pray before and they most likely did so, with their eyes shut. So I assume he was picturing me driving on I-85 with my eyes closed!
         I  tried to comfort him by reassuring him that although I was praying out loud, I did, in fact, most definitely have my eyes open!
         "Poor little darling!" or as we'd say in the south, "Bless his little heart!"
        
Lesson Learned:

Mt 26:41 - " keep watching and praying." So now, whenever I hear a siren and start to pray, I am reminded of this little story and I check myself to make sure that I keep my eyes open.... especially when driving!
        
Lk 24:31 - " And their eyes were opened and they recognized Him..."

No comments:

Post a Comment